Friday, July 15, 2016

Month 24 - Follicle Check {Ultrasound}

Yesterday was our Follicle Check. My mom and I headed to Clearfield about 2:40 pm. Traffic was actually not that bad, I was amazed. We got there a little early but they got us in within 2 minutes of me sitting down. Seriously, why can't all Dr Offices run this way!

Ultrasound looked really good. The Nurse was very skeptical and positive about the results! The Uterus lining looked really good this time. It's Multi layered which is apparently what they want to see. Right and Left Ovaries looked awesome. The Right side had 3 follicles which is abnormal. Last month it didn't have any, same with the previous month! We have 2 confirmed mature eggs ready and 2 additional ones that are right on the boarder. Those two are a 50/50 chance of releasing. So the Nurses' first question was, "Are you ok with Multiples". Oh goodness. My mind wants to say HECK NO, but my heart aches and says yes. There is only a 1% chance for Quadriples, 2-3% for Triplets, 5% for Twins and the greatest risk is not getting pregnant at all. So I said yes. We've come this far and spent a lot of money this cycle to cancel at this point. The Nurse did say when they see 4 or 5 fully mature eggs they will terminate the cycle as it's too much of a risk, but where mine aren't fully mature she felt good proceeding.

We scheduled the IUI collection and transfer for Saturday Morning. It's my mom's birthday that day! Maybe that will bring us some luck. :) We'll head down to Sandy at about 7:30 am. Not the ideal time for us on our day off but it's just one of those things we do. Andy did the Ovidrel injection for me last night. That one is so much easier and less painful than the Gonal-F. I can totally feel my Ovaries growing follicles. It's a weird feeling and somewhat painful. Last month was worse than this month but last night was starting to get uncomfortable. So glad we are ready for release! I can't imagine how bad that gets during IVF when they are forcing so many more eggs to grow.

Our Dr will be in the Sandy office this weekend while we are there so we may actually see him or have him do the IUI Transfer. The Last time the tech did it and she was amazing.

After we got that scheduled I started asking some questions about IVF in case this doesn't work. My mom asked how many IUI's they recommend before moving forward with IVF or other options. The nurse said between 3 and 6. We are at 5 so I guess we are right there. She answered all my questions and gave us some super helpful and informational. She was so nice and understanding. I just felt at ease so much more than before. Such a great sign, right?

Here's what my numbers looked like this month, and I'm sure you're wondering what a good size is supposed to be so the info for that is also below.



What is the size of a mature egg follicle?
In a natural (unstimulated cycle) or Clomiphene Citrate cycle, mature follicle size is between 18 - 30 mm. If triggered, these cycles are typically triggered when follicle size is between 17-26mm (dependent of the practice and IVF lab). In a gonadotropin cycle, mature follicle size is between 16 - 20 mm.